Glasgow Science Centre (GSC) is one of Scotland’s must-see visitor attractions. Our mission is to promote science and technology through thought provoking, fun and exciting experiences that inspire all to explore and understand the world around them.
GSC is recruiting for a highly motivated candidate to fill the exciting role of Planetarium Presenter. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a strong interest and passion for astronomy to work within Glasgow Science Centre's digital full dome planetarium to deliver high quality planetarium experiences for a variety of audiences and to act as a champion of science communication; supporting Planetarium Manager and Planetarium Officer with day to day operations, and to have sole responsibility for special evening planetarium events.
This contract is on a permanent, 36 hour annualised contract on salary of £13,478 - £15,125 per annum.
• To develop and maintain a broad knowledge of astronomy research and topical astronomy news to ensure the planetarium show content is cutting edge.
• To operate and present within one of GSC’s flagship areas, establishing the planetarium as a world-class venue for astronomy education.
• To engage visitors and communicate astronomical concepts accurately within the Planetarium and the broader astronomy mission of Glasgow Science Centre.
• To deliver planetarium shows and other astronomy activities to a consistent 5* standard for public, education and community groups of all ages.
• To work with the Planetarium Officer to monitor quality of delivery in all planetarium shows
• To participate in training and receive/ give peer evaluation as required.
• To carry out individual projects and tasks as directed by the Planetarium Manager
• To represent GSC Planetarium at evening or off-site special events e.g. Planetarium Lates, Sci-Fi Sundays, Sleepovers, Stargazing at Whitelee etc
• To provide appointed-person cover at identified events when required (enhanced hourly rate applicable).
• To deliver Sunday Morning Astronomy Clubs over 35 Sundays per annum.
Skills, Experience & Personal Qualities:
• Confident with excellent interpersonal and communication skills - essential.
• Experience in astronomy, either academic, amateur, or science communication – essential.
• Experience of dealing with the public, community groups and school children – desirable
• Good presentation skills with ability to present to large groups/ audiences – desirable.
• Good working knowledge of IT – desirable.
• Positive and dynamic self-starter with a passion for excellence, creativity and innovation
• A genuine enthusiasm for science and technology with a high level of commitment to GSC’s vision and mission.
To apply, please send a completed application form to email@example.com by Friday 17th March at Noon.
Full job description and application forms are available to download from the main GSC website.