Closing date: 31 Mar 2017
Hours: 40 hours per week
Contract type: Full-time
Location:Hatfield (Head Office)
Ocado is the world’s largest online-only, delivery-based grocery retailer. Our objective is to provide our customers with the best shopping experience for service, range and price. To achieve this, we have built a number of Customer Fulfilment Centres: highly automated warehouses incorporating the latest cutting edge technology.
The automated warehouses store the entire Ocado range of products. They are also the main delivery point for our customers’ orders which are picked and dispatched using highly sophisticated systems and processes, enabling Ocado to deliver in one hour time slots.
In order to run such an operation, we have created Ocado Engineering - a skilled and dedicated team of engineers specialized in mechanical, electronic, design for manufacture, safety, civil, controls or automotive engineering.
So what does a marketing communications executive do at Ocado Engineering?
The technology marketing communications team is responsible for the development of creative campaigns that ensure Ocado Engineering stays in the news and is positioned as a thought leader on key industry trends and issues. We also support internal communications and employee engagement; manage the technology press office function; provide advice and support to colleagues across Ocado Engineering with regards to content and messaging for outward facing communications; manage multiple social media channels; and promote our presence at industry tradeshows, conferences and other events.
This role provides a great opportunity to a recent graduate looking to start a career in technology marketing communications for one of the UK’s most admired online brands.
You will be able to write engaging copy covering topics such as robotics, automation, electronics, mechanics, manufacturing or logistics - think blog posts, contributed articles, op-eds. The role will involve using feedback from the technology communications manager and other colleagues from Ocado Engineering to create finished pieces that tell an interesting story to the reader, whilst adhering to the high quality standards of a predominantly engineering audience.
In addition to content writing, day-to-day tasks will include the following:
- Support the creation of an established Ocado Engineering brand and the delivery of its messaging across various digital channels (website, blog, press coverage, social media, etc.)
- Strategy through to implementation of creating PR campaigns, attracting the best engineering talent and expertise to work for and with Ocado Engineering; responsible for monitoring, analysing and reporting on campaign effectiveness
- Implement social media plans
- Raise awareness of the innovative and fast paced environment at Ocado Engineering among an engineering audience.
- Creating and updating website content
- Producing marketing collateral, designing division documents and presentation templates
- Work alongside various engineering teams to understand their requirements and create marketing ideas in line with their views
- Ability to present to key stakeholders
You will also undertake part of the press office function, giving you the ability to build up industry specific media contacts, including editors and reporters from established technology and engineering-focused publications, trade media, and mainstream UK news outlets.
You will also have the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the world (hardware engineers, software developers, scientists and researchers) and develop your general technology and engineering knowledge.
What we look for:
- A recent graduate with a bachelor’s or master’s degree (minimum 2:1) in a marketing, public relations, creative writing, English, or related degree. We are also willing to accept candidates from a technical background that possess the required skills needed for the role.
- Ideally 6-12 months of previous experience in technology PR or related field.
- The ability to translate technical content into copy that is also accessible to a non-technical audience.
- Keen interest in digital communications channels and growth hacking.
- A passion for technology and an ability to manage your time and resources efficiently.
- Excellent attention to detail, spelling, and grammar.
- Basic understanding of SEO or keen to learn the basics.
We’re also looking for people who reflect our values – people who can learn fast through experimenting; who are autonomous through taking ownership and driving innovation; who are collaborative and work well in high-performing teams. We value trust, honesty, and craftsmanship.
Essentially, if you’re talented and innovative, we’d love to hear from you!
The process will involve an initial screening interview over the phone followed by a face to face interview. Finally, there will be one or two writing tasks that will need to be completed within a given deadline. It’s not as scary as it sounds though! We’ve designed the process to be able to get to know you and to see what you’re capable of.
What we can offer you:
You will be working from our office in Hatfield, Hertfordshire - a 20-minute train ride from central London.
We want you to have a great time working at Ocado so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. We will pay you a competitive salary of £20,000-£25,000 per annum (depending on experience) that will be reviewed twice a year in the first year plus all our usual benefits including 15% staff discount, Friday socials, a variety of sports clubs plus much more.
This job opportunity is initially available on a one-year contract commencing immediately upon accepting the offer, with the option to extend it by an additional year or transform into a permanent role depending on the company’s requirements.
Please indicate in your cover letter if there would be any other preferences regarding the start date.